Washington and Lee boasts some of the finest athletic facilities for any NCAA Division III school, highlighted by several construction projects completed within the last five years. In the midst of a Strategic Initiative which has featured an upgrade of athletic facilities, several projects are also on the books for years to come. In addition to many top-notch game venues, lacrosse campers will have access to both Fuge and Alumni practice facilities.
W&L Turf Field: One of newest facilities at Washington and Lee is a 230' x 400' lighted, multi-purpose synthetic surface field used by the Department of Athletics and Physical Education for intramurals, club sports, athletic contests, and recreational use. The facility features seating for 350 spectators, a press box, two scoreboards, and a storage building for stowing away equipment. The actual synthetic surface is a knitted nylon product called AstroTurf 12 and is imbedded with lines for field hockey, football, men's lacrosse and women's lacrosse. The complex is surrounded by fencing and has a landscaped entrance at the intersection of the lower and upper freshman parking lots. The field was completed during the fall of 2000 by Cannon Architects and Clough-Harbour and Associates at a cost of 2.48 million dollars.
Alston Parker Watt Field: The newest athletic facility at Washington and Lee is Alston Parker Watt Field which is used by the soccer and women's lacrosse programs. The facility was designed by Clough, Harbour & Associates and was completed in the summer of 2003 at a cost of $1.50 millon. The field features elevated bleacher seating for 1,000 spectators, a state-of-the-art press box and sound system, and a removable netting system at the ends of the soccer field behind the goals. The field surface consists of bluegrass natural athletic turf which is underlaid by sand-based drainage and an irrigation pump. The surface is surrounded by vinyl white fencing which provides a stadium atmosphere. Also completed as part of the project were several adjacent practice fields and a 1000-square foot concessions and restroom facility.
Liberty Hall Fields: The Liberty Hall Fields were formerly the home to Washington and Lee's soccer and women's lacrosse programs. With the completion of Watt Field in 2003, the fields are now used solely for practice.
Warner Center: A five-story athletic complex located in the heart of campus that was completed in 1972. The building is named after former W&L trustee Jonathan Westervelt Warner '40. This structure serves as the home for men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, volleyball and wrestling. In addition to a 2,500 seat arena, the Warner Center houses the six-lane Cy Twombly Pool which has a 500-spectator seating gallery; locker rooms; the Doremus Gymnasium; a fully-equipped weight room; an excellent athletic training facility; handball, racquetball and squash courts; a baseball batting cage; equipment room and offices for coaches and administrators.
Wilson Field: W&L's oldest athletic facility recently underwent a major renovation. New locker rooms were constructed under the 7,000 seat grandstand and now house all of W&L's outdoor athletic teams. In the summer of 2004, the stadium also received a new playing surface, complete with underground irrigation and drainage. The facility also received a new track and public address system. Wilson Field serves as the home for football, men's lacrosse and men's and women's track and field programs and is named after former W&L president William L. Wilson (1897-1900). The original stadium was built in 1924 and was expanded in 1929.